Thursday, January 29, 2009

A beam of Hope

One moment in music history.....damn that's a tough one. Going through my head and thinking about my favorite musicians or venues I seem to have a re-occurring vision. Its me, with flowing golden hair down to my shoulders, shirtless, elbow-to-elbow in a sea of 400,00 people in the town of Bethel New York on Sunday, August 17th, 1969. The occasion? Woodstock. The particular moment? Gypsy Sun and The Rainbows playing our national tune. English please...? Jimi Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner on his guitar while almost half a million people stood in wonder. I chose this moment, A, because i believe Jimi Hendrix was one of the most influential musicians to set foot on this planet, B, because its Woodstock, C, because its Woodstock, and D, because this concert took place at a time when America was in disallusion. Our war in Vietman was beginning to turn against the country and people were losing faith in a Government that sent its troops to foriegn lands to fight for foriegn causes. This unbelievable rendition of our national anthem to me proves to be a shinning hope in the belief that no matter what race, national crisis, or wartime problems seem to be happening, we as americans can find a common bond through the beauty of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment